Sandy Pritchard-Gordon

Sandy Pritchard-Gordon
Theatre Blog

Friday 17 May 2013

The Cuious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time at The Apollo


I loved The Curious Incident so much first time round when I saw it performed at The Cottesloe that I jumped at the chance of seeing it again.  Not only did I relish the chance of watching Luke Treadaway’s mind-blowing performance as Christopher Boon once more, but also I was intrigued as to how it would transfer to a proscenium arch stage.

The answer to the latter is that it does transfer very, very well, thanks to the brilliance of Designer Bunny Christie, Director Marianne Elliott and Lighting Designer Paule Constable.  For anyone who is seeing this magnificent play for the first time, as were three of our party, it still stands out as a wonderful piece of theatre and richly deserves its recent Olivier Awards.  However, having seen the original, I inadvertently found myself comparing the two productions and the in-the-round version wins by a nose.  This is mainly because the intimacy of the Cottesloe and the configuration of that set made one feel so much more part of Christopher’s world.  I was still incredibly moved by the whole thing, but, unlike last time, didn’t feel the urge to rush and help when Christopher has his fit towards the end of Act One.  My daughter was mightily relieved I must say.

Luke is still magnificent, the rest of the cast excellent and, although I did miss Paul Ritter’s more rounded performance as the father, Ed and Nicola Walker’s heartbreaking portrayal of Judy, Christopher’s mother, I am so thrilled to have seen Curious again.

Beg, borrow or steal a ticket to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment